FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - COVID-19: re-qualification, A3 extends status and earning period by 6 months
Old Mar 31, 2020, 3:42 am
LacMajeur

Originally Posted by Yreal
Thats the whole point of this forum....
I'm not even doing a millage run. I want to go to greece, I want to go to Tallin, I want to go to helsinki.
Both of you seem to fly more then i do. Since when is this becoming an issue on flyertalk? LacMajeur Seems to have taken SAS+ flights to AGP for points...
Originally Posted by headingwest
As someone who has never held a credit card in my life, I find it rather amusing that someone could suggest getting a Diner's or Amex card. One could argue that credit cards, and credit in general, do more to encourage the 'consumer society' that has done far more damage to the environment than air travel ever could. Aviation has become the bogeyman, all negative attention towards this 'unnecessary' evil, without taking into consideration how much it has enhanced the lives of millions, and how much work is actually being done to decrease CO2 emissions.
Looking out of my 17th floor apartment during weekends, I see no end of motorbikes and cars racing down the street (throwing endless fumes into the air unnecessarily), who am I to criticise people for doing what they enjoy - each to their own.
Hopefully this is not about our respective egos, and hopefully there is no need to go deep in old threads to find out who’s the least virtuous of us. That’s not the point, really.
My very own 75 kilos of flesh and blood used to get shipped for work all around the globe on a weekly basis, paying work expenses with an Amex, and has loved elderly parents to visit far away (and a couple of times in Europe, near AGP). And got plenty of status and miles without even trying.

Hopefully, we can agree on the following:

- There are ways to get comfort (example: lounge access) without flying for nothing. And this forum can help for that.
There is a way to get the DragonPass for free and get lounge access at the fixed price of 19£

- Flying for the primary purpose of getting status and "points" is an appalling, ridiculous and shameful practice.
It will be regarded as the most egoistic and stupid act by our children.
So is flying with extravagant connections for the sole purpose of spending more time airborne, hence burning more fuel.

Originally Posted by Cookoovaya
Surely, that's the point of this forum to a certain extent and it is ironic to discuss those issues here.
However, it's not black or white, fly or don't fly at all. It's about balance and selflessness. It's disappointing seeing people looking for mileage runs and worrying about their status.
Don't take it personally. I'm sure you have travel needs as all of us in this forum but you can't deny that the amount of unnecessary travel being promoted here is objectionable.
Very true. And I’m glad everyone’s happy with extended status without extra flights