FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Your Next Cruise: Are you Having Second Thoughts Due to Fears of Pandemic?
Old Mar 29, 2020, 9:04 am
radonc1

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by justforfun
Not booking another cruise for years to come. Have a 25% credit on Cunard for a cruise I cancelled this June. Initially was going to just rebook the same cruise for June 2021. Now just going to let that credit lapse. Too many unknowns. Maybe in 3-5 years will rethink about booking a cruise. If they receive a bailout from the US and not the country their ships are registered in then there is a 0% chance I'll book one again.
I find it very interesting to compare the responses to the question from page 1 of this thread to page 10 and 11.

I personally feel that we (i.e. humans) have been pretty naive about the extent and transmissibility of this disease. But we are discovering much more (and sadly will become wiser in the damage it can do to a persons health).

What we do know is that it is highly contagious and that a single infected and minimally symptomatic person can spread the disease to others at a high rate of transmission by surface contact and by respiratory methods. The last place this person should be is on a crowded cruise ship. And yet, that is what will happen when the industry restarts travel, unless a good vaccine is available.

The only somewhat surefire way to prevent a repeat Princess cruise debacle is to test every passenger prior to embarkation for active immunity to the disease. (And I am presuming that the virus doesn't mutate, which recent research appears to indicate it is not prone to do, thank God).

I cannot see how a cruise line, from a liability standpoint, could currently offer cruises unless they get the passengers to sign a waiver of liability if one gets sick.

Some have called the cruise ship a "petri dish for Covid-19". I think that is apt, and I just don't want to be the agar supporting it's growth

Last edited by radonc1; Mar 29, 2020 at 3:00 pm Reason: i should learn how to spell the virus name :o