FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*
Old Mar 26, 2020, 5:24 pm
cauchy

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
My understanding of Regulation EC 261/2004 is it does not guarantee that you will receive 50% of the total ticket price back if the inbound of your ticket is cancelled and you opt for a refund. I am by no means an expert on EC 261; maybe C-W-S will have other thoughts.

AA should be able to tell you the amount of the refund you would receive if you opt for refund. Is there any chance you would want to use the inbound at any any point in the next year? If so, you may just want to reschedule to some date in the future.
This is the EC 261 bit about refunds:

Originally Posted by EC261
(a) - reimbursement within seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3), of the full cost of the ticket at the price at which it was bought, for the part or parts of the journey not made, and for the part or parts already made if the flight is no longer serving any purpose in relation to the passenger's original travel plan, together with, when relevant,
I would read that as no recalculation of the fare (i.e. they can't say you paid X, and the one-way fare is Y, so you get X-Y or nothing, depending on whether X or Y is bigger). I imagine the amount you should get back would depend on how much can be attributed to the cancelled sector.