FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Full Refund vs Credit to Travel Bank amid COVID crisis
Old Mar 25, 2020, 12:52 pm
YEG USER

Originally Posted by hoipolloi
it remains that Westjet is morally and ethically wrong in refusing to refund customer's money. Westjet believes it can refuse refunds because of the risk of bankrupty. It is in "every mean necessary" mode, whether it's legal or not.
I'm not disagreeing. IMHO when a service that has been paid for can't be provided, the money should be refunded. Actually, I think there should be a 2nd option available to customers - instead of a refund to "travel bank" if a customer chooses, they should be allowed to rebook at a future date for the same origin/destination without being subject to fare difference. I'm sure there are many people who bought seats on a seat sale and won't want to go on the trip in 12 months when the price has doubled.

Originally Posted by hoipolloi
I'm sure in this case the plaintiffs will end up with refunds or at least an a bonused voucher or gift card with no transferability or combinability restrictions
Quite possibly, but that could be years down the road. If there are people who have a need of the funds immediately a class action suit won't really help them.