FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - COVID-19: refund provided as voucher (for non refundable fares)
Old Mar 25, 2020, 12:24 pm
bostontraveler

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by carnarvon
I am not sure what Amex obligations or promises are in the matter.

I recently had a dispute with Hertz SOU who wanted to charge me for damage on one door, even though the return desk was not manned and they inspected the car more than 1 hour after I had dropped the keys (and the car was not damaged).

Wanting to put pressure on Hertz, I called Amex to ask for charge back and was surprised to hear that they would do nothing.

The guy I spoke with said that Hertz was in their own right to charge my card against my will; when I objected saying that I had given no one the right to charge my card for whichever amount they want, he just said this was the way it was.

I got quite upset that they would not raise a finger to help me and asked if Amex would agree to any charge by any one against my will and he did not really answer.
That is horrendous.
This situation would fall, in my opinion, under purchase protection. A service was paid for using their medium which was not provided. If I ordered something from Apple that was never delivered, Amex would reverse the charge.
https://www.americanexpress.com/fr/b...ection-achats/

What is absurd in this case is that American Express France is saying that they are not accepting disputes because AF is a partner of theirs. In other words, "we're buddies so tough luck". So selective "Protection".... I'd call that a breach of their terms...

In essence the companies are doing whatever the heck they want to because no legal action will move forward. It's illegal and an abuse of trust.