FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Refunds for suspended flights
View Single Post
Old Mar 25, 2020, 3:07 am
rienhart87

Programs: Flying Blue, Marco Polo, Skywards, Etihad Guest, IHG, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by nzkarit
The pax is always responsible for ensuring they are eligible for entry/transit. The pax is responsible for monitoring border rule changes.

At check-in your passport is checked against SITA which goes to the relevant immigration bodies and says yes or no. This can't be bypassed and is $10k fine if an airline brings a pax to NZ which the computer says no to.

If you don't have eligibility to fly you are a no show and I don't think you can claim refunds or credits.
Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your comment.

I would like to clarify that I was eligible to transit as I posses multiple entry visitor visa. I did not even need a visa to transit in Auckland as I was eligible to transit by using NZ ETA (which I also have). I and my friends were checking the news regularly. Like I have written earlier, we bought the ticket with NZ reservation office in French Polynesia (the lady asked for our nationalities, our passport numbers, etc. So she could have, at the very least, warn us against transiting in Auckland but instead she said "yeah you guys are good to go"), we checked with Auckland Airport, we checked with Immigration NZ. all pointing to the fact that we were still allowed to transit in Auckland.

With all due respect, I was a "no-show" not because I wanted to, but because I was forced to be a no-show. If my friends and I missed the sudden update from NZ govt, I can understand that. Then we would have not even tried to transit in Auckland and we would have bought ticket with other airlines to get us out of French Polynesia. But if the majority of other passengers were also unaware of the no transit policy? I don't think you can call that as our fault.

I believe it has to be both ways. Like you said, pax need to be aware (I believe I was) but airlines must also help. They can't just drop the bomb like that. My point is Air New Zealand can't just get away with my money and other passengers' money like that. I paid for a safe passage, Air New Zealand only delivered half of it, then the other half should be refunded to me or at least be returned in flight credit.