FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ideal Bonvoy status qualification for 2021
Old Mar 24, 2020, 9:47 pm
Flying for Fun

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nmpls
The logic for a one time status extension is this:

If persons who stay at marriott frequently enough to be at a very high status (amb, TI, maybe plat), you don't want them to go back to being "regular members" because of something outside of their control, like stopping travelling to save money or switching to Hyatt or whatever. If these people are back at square one, they may explore non-marriott options. It costs Marriott very little to extend status, so the loses could be greater than the cost of extending.
I agree that appeals to "loyalty" or something won;t do anything, only money talks, but I bet if they extend Marriott will claim it is out of loyalty.
I think a lot of people are failing to realize is that their 2020 status was earned in 2019 when it was business as usual. There were no extenuating circumstances in 2019 "out of their control." If they failed to execute the requirements for their elite qualification at par or higher than that held then their staus dropped in 2020 as it would in any other year. With the current crisis many believe their 2018 earned status should be extended into 2021.

If and when Marriott choses to extend benefits, shouldn't it be on the merits of their 2020 staus for 2021 since the impediment is now, not last year? What value is there in status right now when so few are traveling and hotels are closing? Lounge offerings and the breakfast benefit are heavily curtailed now anyways. Should things improve by the fall, there is still opportunity to do a Platinum challenge and enjoying the platinum benefits from the get go. If you haven't requested a Platinum Challenge in the last three years you are eligible through 2020. 16 nights over 90 days is attainable for many if the situation improves and that status would carry through to the end of February 2022. Also an option if you just want the Platinum benefits to burn off your balances and wash your hands.

James