FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ideal Bonvoy status qualification for 2021
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:02 pm
GrayAnderson

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by nmpls
The logic for a one time status extension is this:
If persons who stay at marriott frequently enough to be at a very high status (amb, TI, maybe plat), you don't want them to go back to being "regular members" because of something outside of their control, like stopping travelling to save money or switching to Hyatt or whatever. If these people are back at square one, they may explore non-marriott options. It costs Marriott very little to extend status, so the loses could be greater than the cost of extending.
I agree that appeals to "loyalty" or something won;t do anything, only money talks, but I bet if they extend Marriott will claim it is out of loyalty.
And the "free agent" risk is a real one across the board. If someone gets jammed down from Titanium to Silver due to an extended travel shutdown (not at all inconceivable), that person no longer has "loyalty lock-in" and, if Hyatt (or Hilton or IHG) fits their travel profile better they basically have a "free pass" on switching. That is NOT something any of the big chains really want to risk, and I think given Marriott's year or two of fumbles it is entirely fair to suspect that they might be wary of defections.