FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ideal Bonvoy status qualification for 2021
Old Mar 24, 2020, 2:22 pm
nmpls

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Originally Posted by clarkef
Not at all. That's a very short term perspective. It's great that you stayed during this time and gave Marriott a few dollars. I suspect what Marriott cares more about is how much money you're going to spend this year, and next year, and the year after that. That you stayed with Marriott for a few days is not an indicator of how much revenue you will produce over time, but merely that you had places to be. For Marriott to believe you're entitled to anything special, Marriott has to believe that you you love Marriott so much that you braved Covid-19 because you wanted to help Marriott survive this time of crisis. Even I couldn't BS that much.

Let me give an example of a transaction that is truly done for a vendor's benefit. There is a local gift card registry. People can buy gift cards for their favorite local eatery. These gift cards sell at face value. They are designed to help generate cash for these small eateries which are shut down and likely cannot stay afloat without this desperately needed cash. There is little benefit to the consumer to purchase a gift card. There is no discount and the restaurant may still fail, depending on how long they have to be shut down. We purchase these gift cards to help alleviate the some of the financial pain to the owners and employees caused by the shutdown.
The logic for a one time status extension is this:
If persons who stay at marriott frequently enough to be at a very high status (amb, TI, maybe plat), you don't want them to go back to being "regular members" because of something outside of their control, like stopping travelling to save money or switching to Hyatt or whatever. If these people are back at square one, they may explore non-marriott options. It costs Marriott very little to extend status, so the loses could be greater than the cost of extending.
I agree that appeals to "loyalty" or something won;t do anything, only money talks, but I bet if they extend Marriott will claim it is out of loyalty.