FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:37 pm
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
11- starting with my usual approach ("How do you eat an elephant? Cut it into bite-size pieces.") ...
  • airlines that operated from the west coast to HNL: Northwest (Seattle, Portland), Pan Am (Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles), United (San Francisco, Los Angeles)
  • airlines that might have operated a five-stop flight from BAL to the west coast: American, TWA, United
  • of the three, AA didn't have much of a presence at BAL, and UA is the only one that served SEA/PDX; since I can't recall any UA timetables of the mid-60s that showed any flights on other airlines, we're probably looking at a TW/PA connection
  • I believe PA's HNL operations were almost all 707s by this time, so "the equipment operated by each airline" part of the question therefore points to a Convair 880 on the BAL-California portion of the trip
  • so with that, the connection could have been at SFO, and the five stops could have been
  1. Chicago O'Hare (ORD)
  2. Kansas City (MKC)
  3. Albuquerque (ABQ)
  4. Phoenix (PHX)
  5. LAX
11. You are off to an excellent start here as it was indeed TWA operating a Convair 880 from Baltimore (BAL) to San Francisco (SFO). The first stop was Chicago O'Hare (ORD) and the fifth stop was Los Angeles (LAX); however, the flight in question did not stop at Kansas City or Phoenix. It did stop at Albuquerque....but ABQ wasn't the third stop. Back to the plus column, the connection was made at San Francisco; however, the connecting flight from SFO nonstop to HNL was not operated by Pan Am nor was the equipment a 707.