FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)
Old Mar 21, 2020, 11:26 pm
azj

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
What exactly is the enforcement mechanism here? Will cops be doing profiling to figure out which person walking outside might be a tourist? Basically stop and frisk based on suspicion that this person walking on the beach might be a tourist?

Let's say I'm a tourist in Hawaii for 20 days, I need to carry some papers to prove that I'm now allowed to walk outside?

I don't mind the rule, but the exact enforcement should be clarified otherwise it is going to cause confusion and discrimination.

​​​
As described in the press conference, violation of this quarantine will be a misdemeanor and subject to $5k fine and/or year in jail. All arriving residents will be expected to quarantine at home and visitors in their planned place of lodging. Upon arrival, there will be individual checks of ID and registration when one turns in their agriculture form. The press conference did not mention what would happen for international arrivals, though obviously those visitors are already tracked upon arrival.

That said... now it will sure be interesting to see how it's implemented and tracked. With HAL shrinking dramatically in anticipation, I suspect the numbers of arrivals will dwindle to even less than what is happening today. I suspect the other carriers to follow suit in cutbacks, which until now, have mostly avoided Hawaii as the schedules were slashed.

Last edited by azj; Mar 22, 2020 at 10:55 am