FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Changing AP ticket scheduled for May
View Single Post
Old Mar 20, 2020, 11:07 pm
Adam Smith
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by theBeachBoy
I am traveling tomorrow I had a misconnect on my previous AP itinerary due to a cancelled flight.

They were only able to book me on what was available on aeroplan's app. Nothing more, no extra seats or flights. So I had to come back one day later with two stops instead of one.

I can tell you my options were really few.
You're travelling at a time when AC has cancelled a massive number of flights and is about to shut down massive parts of the network. Some flights are jammed with people desperately trying to get somewhere before borders close and they get stuck.

OP is talking about re-booking several months out, which is likely to be a different proposition.

So unless the rules changes, your only availability will be what is left to Aeroplan awards, nothing more
Without more information about your situation, it's impossible to say whether AC has changed the rule that allows Aeroplan to force open space. My understanding is there have always been some limitations on that (e.g. I don't think they can force open space if the flight is oversold; I've also been told they can't force open space if there's a very similar alternative available in X/I, e.g. you want them to open a 1-hour earlier YYZ-YVR than what's available in X/I). Did you run in to one of those limitations? Did the agent even know that normally force open space? Assuming you explicitly asked about forcing open space due to the schedule change? (I've encountered agents who either didn't know they could do this, or who initially didn't want to because they didn't realize I was only asking to change due to a SKCH).

Even if they've put some sort of limitation on it, I wouldn't be surprised if it was temporary and wouldn't necessarily affect the OP.