FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any experience with KimKim.com?
View Single Post
Old Mar 20, 2020, 8:46 pm
cathn

tl;dr KimKim and Morocco Off the Beaten Track use unethical business practices and will exploit you in any way possible.

I don't typically write reviews but felt it necessary to provide some insight into what to expect if you decide to work with KimKim.

We used KimKim to book a trip to Morocco a few months ago and paid in full upfront per their policy. They connected us to one of their partners, Yassine who works for Morocco Off the Beaten Track.

Fast forward to today -- we are in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic and all the uncertainty it brings. Even though our trip was more than 30 days out, we decided to play it safe (because who knows when the world will emerge from quarantine) and requested to postpone our trip -- not cancel, postpone. Yassine responded that there would be an additional 20% postponement fee or we could cancel and receive a 50% refund. We received multiple emails from KimKim that our deadline to decide was March 20th and Yassine reiterated this many times during our communications (this part is important).

We were a bit surprised about being charged an additional 20% (which would be the equivalent of paying for another 2-3 days), mostly because if we had booked directly with the hotels instead of using Kimkim, we would have been able to cancel within 48-72 hrs of our stay without a penalty, and asked for a breakdown of the expenses they would incur if we postponed. We didn't think it was an unreasonable request but they flat out refused stating, "We do not provide itemized summaries of our trips," and then repeated that we had two options: incur a 20% fee or cancel and only receive 50% back.

We went back and forth with Yassine and KimKim went on for a week and a half as we sought to get more clarity, and we emailed back and forth right up until the evening of March 20th (Yassine refused to jump on a call to sort this out.) During our last exchange that evening, Yassine informed us we were past the 30 day cancellation period and could either postpone with a 20% fee or cancel and not receive a refund.

I understand that we are living in unusual times and that everyone, particularly small businesses, is doing their best to manage through it. Had Kimkim and Yassine/Morocco Off the Beaten Path, provided some insight into the additional fees, I would have been willing to pay it especially since it would mean helping to keep small businesses afloat. However, the inflexibility to depart from "standard policies" given the current state of affairs, the sudden additional fees, and the lack of transparency, and then the underhanded trick of dragging this out and telling us on March 20th that we were no longer within the cancellation policy is a dirty, dirty trick and makes it clear they are exploiting the unfortunate circumstances we are all living through now.

I deeply regret using the services of Kimkim and Morocco Off the Beaten Track. They are completely unethical.