FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Situation in Wuhan?
View Single Post
Old Mar 20, 2020, 7:52 pm
DaileyB

I just talked to a friend from Wuhan, and she had a number of interesting things to say. 1. The lockdown is enforced by community volunteers. If they see someone in the streets, they tell that person to go back inside. 2. They do their grocery shopping in a group organized method. Several people are chosen by their neighbors to get food for everyone. Everyone stays 5 meters away from each other in the stores. It does look like individualized shopping will be permitted soon, though. 3. The mortality rate varies significantly depending on the area and the quality of hospital care. Some hospitals are not very good. 4. For those people not allowed to return to their homes (For instance, Wuhan people stuck in Shanghai), the government pays their hotel bills. 5. She lost 2 elderly relatives.

Personally, when Wuhan went on lockdown, I thought that after a week or so, having observed Chinese people pay no attention to traffic rules, that it would explode with people rebelling. I was wrong about that. Their social distancing and lockdown seems to have worked, which is a very good thing.