FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Leaving the Cold behind... SEA (Thailand, India, Singapore) with LH A380 in FIRST
Old Mar 20, 2020, 9:38 am
ChristianKiev

Programs: Lufthansa SEN, Bonvoy LT TE, SIXT Diamond, AVIS President, HERTZ President
Friday, March 20, 2020

When in the morning I left the room, something felt strange – until I recognised that the hotel switched of ¾ of the lights in the corridor. A rather strange feeling, a little bit like ‘The Twilight Zone, Tower of Terror’ at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Orlando.

While in the morning, after reading the interesting Covid-19 statistics from Italy, I was in quite good mood, the sadness of the hotel destroyed it all !

Also at breakfast, again lesser people, again lesser selection, some of the staff already quite nervous (mostly afraid of losing their job).

This, in combination with the few people on the street, made the Bangkok experience already rather depressed – and I’m a person who usually doesn’t get depress by anything.

Luckily it was anyway time to leave Bangkok.

The last two days we already doubted if it would be a good idea to leave Bangkok, because in case of a shutdown we mightn’t be able to return. But since Bangkok is the Covid-19 hotspot of Thailand, we decided to give it a chance.

Since I already packed the night before, I had time until Valentyna got ready, went to an ATM to get more cash (just in case, nobody knows what will happen) and had a chat with the chief concierge. He told me that he’s mostly afraid because most Thais can’t do a test – because it nearly costs a monthly income (US$ 250).

At 1045 Valentyna popped up at the lobby, we said ‘Goodbye’ while the staff stored our luggage in the taxi, drove to the SIXT downtown office at Rama IV Road.

I rented a Honda Civic at US$ 300 for 10 days, knowing that due to my Diamond status I’ll get a Toyota Camry, the biggest limousine they have.

On the way no traffic at all, just 10 minute’s drive instead of 30. But when we arrived at the SIXT office I saw an older model Camry standing in front.

The guys at SIXT already know me, so I was greeted name – and I asked if this old Camry would me mine. They immediately offered to bring a new model, in case I would care – or, if I would wish, at a surcharge of US$ 10/day a newly registered BMW X1 Diesel (which in Thailand, without all-wheel-drive, without options, costs US$ 80'000 !!!).

10 US$ more for a Beamer instead of a rice cooker with the smallest petrol engine, in addition a ‘Diesel’. Yes !!!

While our contract was prepared, the payment done, they really brought a brand-new car, with just 43 kilometers on the odometer, bright white with brown leather interior.

They loaded our luggage and Valentyna drove us off, towards the highway.

We crossed Bangkok’s River,

and within miles the city’s face changed. Instead of high-rising buildings small wooden houses with green gardens, smaller rivers flowing towards the see, with lots of fishing boats.

Due to road construction the traffic was heavy, some people driving like they’re playing a Nintendo game.

A funny fact where the bridges from which they spray water – don’t ask me why.

After 1 ½ hours we reached the city of Mae Klong, famous for its ‘Railway Market’. Normally thousands of tourists visiting from Bangkok – but not at the moment. I think Thailand had been like this 20 or even 25 years ago.

We parked the car nearby, walked towards the railway tracks,

turned left on the tracks, where the market is located.

You really have to walk carefully, since you can easily hit your head on the shades.

What a beautiful and selection of various goods !

Since the next train would pass in an hour, we decided to have lunch, selected a recommended, small restaurant

which offers egg-noodle-soup with roasted pork,

quite good, filling and cheap (US$ 3.50 for 2).

We still had to kill time, so we decided to visit the rather huge market

with fantastic products,

bought some tried spicy pineapple and returned to the railway tracks,

to select a good position for the 1430 arrival, made some pre-arrival pics.

It’s quite interesting how the market is constructed. 5 minutes in advance the arrival of the train is announced via speakers. And within two minutes the remove the shades, pull back the counters (which are on rolls). Then the marked is removed, ready for the train.

At 1432 the train arrived, passing the market. It’s not a kind of small train, it’s a big one !

When the train passed the market is build up within less than a minute, they don’t lose any time !

We walked back to the car, left Mae Klong, taking the highway south.

Our next stop was an ‘Amazon’ coffee shop,

where they do sell quite good and strong coffee, not to be compared with the brownish water they sell at Starbucks !

Valentyna ordered her standard iced ‘Matcha Latte’, I went for a iced ‘White Coch Macchiato’,

quite strong (when you don’t wait until the ice is melted) and sweet, exactly what I needed.

The navigation system showed 210 km to our destination, we passed beautiful landscaped, deep green field, steep Karst mountains, mostly on a tree-lined highway.

Valentyna wanted to buy some mangos, so we stopped at one of the many market places along the highway. The people were very friendly, obviously happy to see some tourists willing to spend money.

While in Bangkok a kilogram of mangos cost between US$ 5 and 6, here we got the same at less than a dollar !

A pic of our rental,

and we were back on the road.

While Valentyna drove, I checked TripAdvisor and booking.com, where to stay at our destination, the city of Prachuap Khiri Khan.

The city is located at the Gulf of Thailand and, with its 27’000 inhabitants, isn’t too big. But it offers all you could think off, including lots of cheaper hotel catering older Europeans who stay here for the winter.

We drove to ‘De Boutique Hotel’, a newer accommodation, recommended in TripAdvisor.

I went inside, asked if a room would be available – of course it was at present times. I decided for the higher category at US$ 27 including taxes and breakfast.

Valentyna parked the car, the staff helped to bring our luggage to the room at 4th floor, quite simple, but sufficient for a night,

even with a balcony with view towards the bay (where I could smoke without leaving the hotel).

Since it was soon getting dark, we left the hotel immediately, walked the few steps towards the beach promenade, with a lovely view.

We walked along the beach towards the pier,

from where we

had a lovely view towards the typical night market and Wat Khao Chong Kaeo overlooking the city.

It was only about 1845 – but we were hungry.

Walking along the night market (surprisingly big for the size of the city) we checked out the offers,

selected a Larb salad at only 70 cents, which was surprisingly good.

I’ve to say that everything, compared to Bangkok, is maximum half price, at identical or even higher quality. I can understand why some pensioners select a rather unknown city over Pattaya, Bangkok, Phuket etc., especially when their budget is limited. Some of the simple apartments with balcony towards the sea cost as little as US$ 200/month. I think at US$ 30/day you might have a good life, and sunshine nearly every day. Another benefit for older people is the high humidity which helps not only the skin, but – as I was told – also the bones and rheumatism.

The market didn’t offer, except the Larb salad, any interesting dishes – so I checked TripAdvisor and found out that a Japanese guy opened a very much hyped restaurant near our hotel.

Restaurant ‘Fujisan’ looked quite basic – but inviting, the menu interesting, no typical tourist food such as ‘California Roll’, ‘Philadelphia Roll’ etc.

We took a seat, got a menu and two Coke Zero, then the owner arrived and informed that just today he was able to buy a Tuna, directly from the bay. Therefore he recommended Tuna Sashimi, Tuna Steak and a classic Japanese Roll with Tuna – which we all ordered. In addition, some Nigiri Saba Sushi and my ‘desert’, two pieces of Tamago.

We didn’t expect much – and we were really surprised: the Tuna was extremely good, each version of it ! Also the Saba was fantastic, just the Tamago too thin cut for the amount of rice.

The bill arrived and we got another surprise, just US$ 19 for the meal with drinks…

After we paid, we left and walked the 100 meters to our hotel.