FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Airlines Stock (ALK)
View Single Post
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:59 pm
scubadu

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by StephanP37
Good time to buy, and any stock holders on this thread? I am a real estate investor and despise the stock market typically but my brother who is a CPA and avid stock market guy was telling me Delta and Alaska had dipped about 80%, seems like a no brainer to buy soon doesnt it? Curious to hear thoughts from existing shareholders!
Let me get this straight... you typically "despise the stock market" but now, in one of the absolute diciest markets in a decade, of the entire universe of stocks which are available to you, many of which are on sale and have much, much stronger businesses, you want your foray into the market to be with an airline stock. Seriously?

Airlines are generally bad businesses in the best of times and they are generally horrific businesses in the worst of times. You could certainly get lucky, should this be over in relatively short order, but if this drags on for longer than anticipated, then I completely agree with LondonElite, you'd better be mentally prepared to consider this gambling money and be okay with the stock going to zero (i.e. filing for bankruptcy protection)

Regards

P.S. In general, I strongly avoid taking investment advice from "avid stock market guys" even if (maybe particularly if) they are my brother.