FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - COVID-19: refund provided as voucher (for non refundable fares)
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:42 pm
Fabo.sk

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
I may be overthinking or misreading this but it seems really strange that AF has this message on its site. It implies that if your flight is cancelled that you are only entitled to a voucher-- not a refund. If that is the case it's absurd.

I have two flights coming up with I am certain will be canceled but I don't want to touch them until AF makes the first move.

What is your reading on this? Notice the same text for voluntary and involuntary cancellations.....

YOU WANT TO CANCEL YOUR TRIP
If you have purchased a ticket for a flight departing before 31 May 2020, please contact your travel agency for further information.

*****If you purchased a ticket directly from our website, please complete the online form below to obtain a travel voucher. This non-refundable voucher is valid for 1 year on all Air France, KLM, Delta Air Lines and Virgin Atlantic flights.*****

YOUR FLIGHT HAS BEEN CANCELED
If your flight has been canceled and you no longer wish to travel, please contact your travel agency for further information.

*****If you purchased your ticket directly from our website or at an Air France point of sale, please complete the online form below to obtain a travel voucher. This voucher is valid for 1 year on all Air France, KLM, Delta Air Lines and Virgin Atlantic flights.*****
I notice that the involuntary cancellation line does only mention "this voucher", not "this non-refundable voucher". Sounds like they would auto-issue a voucher, which you can ask to be refunded. That way, they can register a liability against you, but will retain the cash, provided you trust them to make it good later. Seems fairly reasonable given the current unique situation.

I wonder how it was at the time of the volcano. I didn't follow the refund procedures at the time. But it is certainly different in that this crisis is sure not to go away any soon, which couldn't have been told about the volcano plume.