FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - COVID-19: status extensions confirmed
View Single Post
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:12 pm
gaukuser

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / Marriott Gold / Hilton Gold / IHG Platinum ... A former AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
I have a feeling that this was a solution that sort of went with "hey you, intern, come up with something we can implement easily and will shut them up for at least two weeks". The Aeroflot, or, by now, Finnair (6 month extension) solution would be nicer, but I guess there isn't anyone in FB/AF/KL who wants to try and make calculations on what is the best solution. I suppose it is no help to them that FB is not just a loyalty system of one airline, or at least the two airlines in the same group, but also of KQ and RO, who might want to push through their own views.
Meanwhile the likes of SU can just at the position of SU itself, and they also have more history to look at to say "hey, 90% of them retain status anyway, we can afford to give extra status to those 10%". The data I don't think is readily available with the fairly fresh new FB, they would have to run simulations.

Personally, I would think the better solution at this time, instead of playing with the requal criteria, would be to just freeze the calendar for the duration, and then move everyones qualification period up for however long the freeze lasted - if it's three months then three months, if the air travel crisis continues on, then 6 months, 9 months, as appropriate.
At least that way you'd have a chance to catch up. I don't know how many folks travel patterns are such that they get about the same amount of XP every month, so 25% reduction in criteria works for them just fine. For me - I have a somewhat irregular travel pattern. I take a good bit more flights in Q2 than Q1, between April and May I would have done easily 50-60 XP, add to that March, and I'm some 70-80 XP in the hole, maybe a bit less if some flights went to *A, but still a lot more than the 45XP reduction offered...

yours is a sensible solution, that treats 'lost time' the same for everybody. It makes a lot of sense. Thanks