FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Leaving the Cold behind... SEA (Thailand, India, Singapore) with LH A380 in FIRST
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:16 am
ChristianKiev

Programs: Lufthansa SEN, Bonvoy LT TE, SIXT Diamond, AVIS President, HERTZ President
Wednesday, March 18, 2020

A quite interesting day, because the government of Thailand, after closing ‘entertainment venues’, such as boxing halls, cinemas, sport stadiums, bars and massage parlours, is discussing the shutdown of Bangkok due to the Thai New Year Festival (Songkran) from 13th to 15th of April.

Normally the people living in Bangkok are driving home to their family, all over Thailand. And since Covid-19 is mostly existing in Bangkok, the government is worried that the virus will be spread throughout the country. But for now, this rumour isn’t confirmed, even denied by one of the top ministers.

As I mentioned before, we’re planning to drive to Khao Lak the coming days, car rented, hotel reserved.

Since I was checking hotel prices in Bangkok after our return from the South, I also was checking if the prices in Khao Lak decreased. Marriott operates two hotels in Khao Lak, the older but beautiful JW Marriott and the newer Le Meridien. And what did I see ? While the JW remained at THB 5’300++/night (approx. US$ 200), the Le Meridien dropped from THB 8’700++ (approx. US$ 330)/night to just THB 2’499++ (US$ 90)/night, including breakfast for 2, F&B credit of THB 1’000/night (US$ 33) and 5’000 extra points per stay.

Okay, the gym doesn’t look as good as at the JW – but, excuse me, this bargain I couldn’t pass.

For breakfast we met the young German gentlemen, who decided, due to family issues, to return to Switzerland today, as long as still possible. After a fantastic Brioche French toast, we said farewell, he left towards the airport, while we went to the pool.

As I said, the service at this period is just amazing, not only in the hotel. Even the taxi drivers are friendly and don’t try to rip you off. If it wouldn’t be for such a sad reason, we would say it’s the best time to visit Bangkok (still !).

After 2 hours on the sauna-style pool-deck, we changed and went to gym.

It’s not only the gym itself, it’s also about the very friendly and helpful staff, the changing rooms with huge Jacuzzi, Sauna and all amenities you would need, even deodorant, talcum powder etc.

2 hours and we were totally exhausted, had a shower and went to ‘Terminal 21’ Shopping Mall for lunch.

On 4th floor there’s a quite good (and relatively cheap) Japanese restaurant located, called ‘Ootoya’, serving quite traditional comfort food.

While Valentyna went for a Soba (buckwheat) noodle soup with Bonito flakes and seaweed, a small bowl with rice and salmon as well as Japanese pickles, I selected instead the same set – but with Udon noodles (made from wheat-flour) instead.

To our surprise the meal was pretty good, filling. We paid US$ 22, bought some Pomelo and went back to the hotel, where I tried my luck with refund of the AirAsia flights – again.

Unfortunately, I had two bookings, one for Valentyna and myself, another one for Mr. ‘Extra Seat’. So I had to go through the process twice. And, since AVA isn’t the cleverest customer support agent, within the process, there always occurred an Error. To complete the refund of the first ticket I needed 8 trails, for the second one just 6.

I had some minor phone calls to do, business at home as to continue, until at 1830 I went down for some dinner-snacks and a Coke Zero,

while Valentyna had a nap.

Also I made a new insurance for rented cars. I see no reason to pay to the car hire company a high premium per day – while icarhireinsurance offers an annual excess insurance at less than US$ 100.

At 2030 we left the hotel towards Sukhumvit Soi 8. No, not to ‘Via Vai’, but into the first Subsoi to the right,

in which Pizzeria ‘Vesuvio’ is located, run by an Italian. No, it’s not a posh restaurant, but made with the typical Italian style.

We took a seat inside (outside it was very windy), I ordered the Best Seller, Pizza Vesuvio, Valentyna just a small Focaccia with Italian Mortadella, plus some olives.

The Pizza arrived with an impressive size – but since the base is extremely thin but still relatively crisp, the portion is manageable.

I’ve to say !!! Wow !!!, really good, even in Italy I rarely got a Pizza of such a good quality.

Valentynas Focaccia was pretty good, just to less Mortadella – so we ordered an extra 100 gram.

Next stop: Soi X, where the Arabic restaurant ‘XXXX’ is located. We went upstairs, Valentyna got her coconut and Shisha, me just the standard Coke Zero.

After over an hour of Shisha-smoking we returned to the hotel, streets quite empty, less and less people wearing masks.