FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ideal Bonvoy status qualification for 2021
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:37 am
JBord

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Well, there's actually the very simple reason that if they extend status for everybody, then nobody will feel any particular need to stay at Marriott for the rest of 2020.
That's one way to look at it, but I think the number of people who chase multiple statuses just for the purpose of having multiple statuses is fairly small. Most people want to enjoy the benefits of the status not try to build up a second one. Others will see their "favorite" hotel being generous in extending the status and will reward that by continuing to stay at Marriotts. I'm not saying you're incorrect, just that I think it's a not a high number of customers who think that way...certainly much higher here on FT though!

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Extend status from 2019 and fit 2020 status to a curve to maintain elite numbers. If folks are still staying in 2020 they deserve the recognition for contribution to the bottom line.
Hmmm...I can't figure out how I feel about this statement. Logically, I completely agree. But emotionally, I'm wondering why these people are out staying at hotels when most businesses have suspended travel and we are told to "stay at home". No question there are always people who need a hotel, especially those whose jobs require them to travel in order to keep us safe during this time. Yet, I kind of feel like it's a grocery store rewarding someone for hoarding 200 rolls of toilet paper.

If status is extended for everyone, that does NOT mean additional SNA's or similar benefits. The people who are actually staying would still earn those. Maybe there's another way to reward them without penalizing everyone else for contributing to the world's overall well-being.