FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus - Thoughts on international/domestic travel?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:58 am
LonghornDXB

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer

We are now seeing police flying drones in Spain to check that people are not going for an illicit walk on a deserted beach. In France, you need a certificate to be allowed to go and buy a loaf of bread.

Just days ago, I was pilloried for describing the lockdowns as "house arrest". House arrest is now a reality. Now people are talking in terms of Martial Law. That is going to be a reality soon as well.

Regardless of the rights or wrongs of this, I am genuinely concerned about what implications this precedent has for the future.
Are these extreme measures? Yes

What concerns me are those who are already talking about how great all this is as it protects the environment, and that the previous system was just a rat race, and the current system is healthier as we are spending time with our families. Or watching hours of movies or playing video games
My feed is full of people talking about great it is to work from home and not have to worry about commuting. Others are talking about how schooling for kids is old fashioned and keeping them at home and e-learning is technologically advanced

its one thing to go through a bad situation, another to see so many people praise the current measures as if they are hoping it becomes permanent

I can imagine so many governments would be so happy to never worry about elections ever again.