FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus - Thoughts on international/domestic travel?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 3:23 am
The_Bouncer
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
As far as the lockdowns are concerned, there is one thing I have learned. Do not dismiss anything as impossible.

Mere weeks ago, it would have been unthinkable in Western Europe for people to be banned from travelling from one part of a country to another. They are. Then it was unthinkable that people would be banned from going out for a coffee. They are. Then it was unthinkable that people would be banned from visiting their boyfriend or girlfriend. They are.

We are now seeing police flying drones in Spain to check that people are not going for an illicit walk on a deserted beach. In France, you need a certificate to be allowed to go and buy a loaf of bread.

Just days ago, I was pilloried for describing the lockdowns as "house arrest". House arrest is now a reality. Now people are talking in terms of Martial Law. That is going to be a reality soon as well.

Regardless of the rights or wrongs of this, I am genuinely concerned about what implications this precedent has for the future.