FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What Is Vegas Like During Coronavirus?
View Single Post
Old Mar 17, 2020, 7:02 pm
Boraxo
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I am glad they are closing as the alternative is to overwhelm the health care system in Las Vegas. It does not make sense to stay open at 10% of capacity even if there was no virus (though I suppose the slot machines might still be profitable).

Hopefully this will only be a 2-4week forced vacation - it is unfortunate that employees are laid off and not paid. Maybe the corporate owners figure this will force the hand of the government on their request for financial assistance. How quickly did resorts rehire after the 2008 crisis?

I will be happy to return to the Strip when we are out of the danger zone (as I did several times just after 9/11) but there will need to be an attitude adjustment by management if they want gambling action. I won’t be playing 6/5 BJ, or 3 green roulette, and I won’t tolerate incessant cigarette smoking (hint: expand non-smoking sections). Gaming aside, I will still be happy to patronize the great restaurants, pools and spas. Summers are normally slow so I am sure there will be no shortage of discounted room rates.