FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will Qantas waive change fees for existing bookings? (WHO Pandemic Declaration)
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:13 pm
Firemansam

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The airline is making exceptions which are beyond what it is required to do - it could have simply stuck with the fare rules. Give someone a free cup of coffee and then they complain that it is not a mug of coffee

The airline is also not an insurance company - just because some insurance policies will not cover it, does not mean that the airline should become an unpaid insurer. There are insurances that , if taken out before the situation became major, do cover it and those buying tickets 10 months ago had opportunity to take out insurance before anyone had heard of Wuhan
We took out insurance with covermore in October last year. At the time the choice to buy "cancel anytime" was not on the webpage, however I bought us extra cancellation coverage which I need to call them, when I have time, to find out if that included cancel anytime cover.
But when the WHO declared a pandemic it seems to basically absolve the insurance most of tcompanies ofheir responsibilities to their customers, even to those who purchased before this even existed.