FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Covid-19 and BA flight cancellations & rebooking: info & advice thread [*noise-free*]
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:58 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by alexrm57
I made a return reward flight booking almost a year ago to fly this coming week LHR-SCL with the return LIM-LGW in a few weeks' time.
Avios flights can be cancelled with just a £35 redeposit fee, and even that is refundable via eVoucher. It may be best to hold off until a few days from travel, the deadline is 24 hours from the first flight, so expect to cancel the flights (which you should be able to do online) and then apply for the eVoucher. There isn't a particular advantage in waiting, so you could do it now if you definitely don't want to travel, but there is one exception: if BA cancel a flight then BA can rebook you on to services without Avios availability. However to be honest I suspect it will be imposssible to predict how this will play out, so it may be best just to recover the Avios and cash, and see what happens later on. Availability won't be created if you cancel, however, on the other hand availability may - or may not - show up in the weeks ahead, notably via Iberia (I have my doubts that the Lima service will survive this event).

Please don't call BA unless you are travelling in the next few days, but thank you for posting here on Flyertalk, there is a lot of material here now, so by all means have a read up on this and the related threads. Welcome to Flyertalk and the BA forum alexrm57, and by all means ask any followup questions here. On your first day on Flyertalk there is a one time restriction of 5 posts in the first 24 hours.