FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why UA should buy Air India right now!
View Single Post
Old Mar 12, 2020, 7:35 pm
spartacusmcfly

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by 757FO
Thoughts?

Lol, I'll be happy just to hold onto my job (Pilot at United) let alone see us buy a foreign airline, in a country likely to be one of the more harder hit ones from COVID19.
Higher probability of you flying if they have more routes to fly, right? Will avoid furloughs of current UA employees if UA can redeploy them. Remember, it's a cashless transaction for UA in the short term. So it's not like they would be spending cash on this, that they would otherwise spend on current employees....

Originally Posted by worldtrav
This has to be a joke, never read such garbage in my life. Do you know cash is king right now and is the only thing that will carry them through?
They beauty of the transaction is it would be cashless. Has no impact on UA viability in the near-term...

Originally Posted by paperwastage
not to mention that foreign ownership is limited (49%) and control must be vested in indian nationals

so united buys-in but cannot do anything to control/change AI's behavior.
The government can own 51% and cede operating control to UA. This is done all the time globally... India auctioned the airline last year and got zero bidders. Second auction also yielded zero bidders. They are desperate to sell.

Didn't Delta just acquire a LATAM airline...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 12, 2020 at 8:34 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member