FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - COVID19 UA-Schedule {Archive}
View Single Post
Old Mar 12, 2020, 10:08 am
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mmthomps
So, my husband and I each have conference/meetings that have been cancelled, so we need to cancel our United tickets. Both/all tickets were bought before March 2; flights were between March 9 and April 30. If we cancel the flights, then we need to "purchase a new ticket before/on December 31, 2020 or 12 months from original ticket date, whichever is earlier." But the value of the ticket simply stays in our 'account' as it were, right? We aren't "changing flights," and needing to rebook a ticket at this time. Sorry, it seems simple, but just wanted to verify before cancelling.
The value of the ticket stays attached to the original reservation. It can be applied to future travel by rebooking that reservation. You'll see the reservations in your United account -- My trips -> View all trips -> Canceled. If you click on the itinerary, you'll get a message like this one:

This reservation has been canceled. To use any remaining value toward a future flight, please select the button below.
and a button that says "Use future flight credit."

That said, there are numerous reports of this not working very well, and I expect that you may need to call once you're ready to rebook.

The new tickets have to be for the same travelers who had the original bookings. The treatment of excess value depends upon the fare rules. For most fares in effect prior to March 2, residual amounts are returned to the traveler in the form of an Electronic Travel Credit (ETC), which can be used by anyone. Most fares in effect since March 2 call for residual amounts to be ignored; no ETC would be issued.