FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - COVID19 UA-Schedule {Archive}
View Single Post
Old Mar 12, 2020, 10:02 am
wanderlustFL

Programs: UAL 1P, Bonvoy Plat, Delta Silver Med, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Chalmers3716
American citizen currently overseas. I need to return from Spain in May. I realize this is currently outside the window, but given the immediacy of the announcement, and the fact that things seem likely to keep getting worse before better, I expect that to be extended.

Would you all recommend booking flights ASAP, and hoping they don't get cancelled, or waiting until something more definitive is said regarding my travel timeframe (I'd be flying BCN-STL, so obviously no nonstops, but also some seasonal routes that may get cancelled, etc).

Also, any benefit to booking via cash vs. miles?
Hi, for American citizens my understanding (quoting from USA Today article) is:"The department plans to issue a notice "requiring U.S. passengers that have been" traveling in parts of Europe to "travel through select airports where the U.S. Government has implemented enhanced screening procedures," said Acting Secretary Chad Wolf.

Vice President Mike Pence said in an interview with CNN Thursday that Americans and legal residents returning to the US from Europe will be funneled through 13 airports for screening. He did not name the airports."

So, that would mean it might be best to get clarity on where those specific USA entry point airports are before booking your flights. Clearly, higher volume entry points relevant to STL travel such a ORD, JFK, EWR and IAD are likely to be on the list. Also, as to flights bookable now that will likely operate in May is anyone's guess. However, I would suggest looking at non schengen options such as Royal Air Maroc via Casablanca or routings via London. And you indicate your return date is still a couple of months out. Therefore, I would suggest holding off a bit so that you don't accidentally book through the next "hot spot" only to have that flight cancelled or new restrictions imposed that make the itinerary unworkable. However, if I were in your shoes, I would continue to carefully monitor as, if the crisis continues to escalate, and your priority is coming back to the USA before June, then you may need to accelerate your return trip to ensure that you can come home at reasonable cost and with inconvenience minimized.