FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - COVID-19 - Situation and response in Thailand
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:56 pm
the.wandering.aengus

Originally Posted by transpac
This is interesting.

Would love to hear more detail...what were you told was the reason for the DB? "Apparently" makes it sound like you were not given specific reason(s). What did they suggest you do? Were you starting an LHR-DOH-BKK return trip?

This sounds more like a Qatar/QR issue than a Thailand issue but without more detail, it's hard to assess.

In any event, the situation is not going to improve here (in Thailand) anytime soon. Things will get much more confusing, as if that is possible, with various ministries issuing countervailing "orders" as an incompetent military dictatorship grapples with a crisis they are wholly unfit to deal with. Tanks and bullets work on pesky citizens, not so much on a virus.

All the sites, temples, food, entertainment, and hopefully the bulk of the population, will still be here after this crisis has abated. The Grand Palace is no less magnificent with thousands of other tourists. While you might think the locals will appreciate your money I can't say that this is the best time to visit the Land of Smiles. Foreigners (non-Asian looking), are somewhat subtly being portrayed as bringing the disease to Thailand. Sort of the inverse xenophobia Asians are experiencing elsewhere. That said, Thai's are sharing their resentment for other Thais returning from Korea, where they have been living and working illegally. So there's a lot of fear and hatred in the air.

The "tipping point" in public fear amongst Thais was roughly yesterday, in my completely unqualified observation.
The guidance is ambiguous:
1. Passengers arriving from China (People's Rep.), Hong Kong (SAR China), Iran, Italy, Korea (Rep.) or Macao (SAR China) must have a Health Certificate to prove they are free from Coronavirus (COVID-19). They must be under doctor's observation 14 days before issuing date. The Health Certificate must be valid for not more than 2 days prior to departure.

My trip was booked as follows: HKG-BKK-DOH-LHR (1 week) -DOH-BKK (2 days) - HKG

I had to move the last HK segment earlier to make it a legal connection so I was able to board in LHR.

QR agents believed that this meant anyone being in these places in the past 14 days - but if you read closely it only says 'arriving from'. I arrived from DOH. The guidance is pretty poorly written and I get why QR would err on the cautious side here. However, I never actually believed that I would have an issue clearing immigration.