FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus - Thoughts on international/domestic travel?
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:16 pm
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If you go shopping at big grocery stores and pharmacies in HEL, don’t let it be for hand-sanitizer gels. They seem to be sold out almost as much as comparable stores in the “biggest” Swedish cities.

Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
Isn't Singapore using its surveillance capabilities to determine and isolate the exact contacts of an infected person?

This is what I meant under "undemocratic measures". Countries that practice tight control over the society have the infrastructure to precisely track each individual, and laws allowing them to isolate any person, and this is a huge asset when controlling the spread of an epidemic (even though I do not like such an excessive state control in "peaceful times").

I was not meaning to be negative on Singapore in this aspect - in fact I wish our government were as competent as yours when fighting this epidemic.
Iran has a history of having one of the better health care systems in the Muslim-majority countries and is far from being fully democratic and has a very penetrative security state apparatus; and yet it failed on its face on this issue and very quickly became one of the first countries to become blacklisted far and wide to try to slow down the spread internationally. Where I go in Europe the most, Italy and Iran have been the main source so far for tracked down cases. More than even China.