FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase Travel REFUND questions and experiences [Consolidated]
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:36 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Carter29072
Yes, it is not a refundable fare but they told me that AA would issue two vouchers to be used within a year for $683 each. I asked them if I book a $300 per person ticket, what I would get. He told me another credit from the airline. He was so hard to understand. I didn't make any decision yet but would be curious if I would get the same answer if I HUCA this week.
This is AA specific. Each airline has its own refund policy on coronavirus affected cancellation. What DL or UA or any other airline does, do not mean AA will do the same thing.

On non-refundable tickets AA just waived the usual fee but instead of refunding the fare to original form of payment, AA would issue vouchers on the residual value, in this case since the change fee is waived, it then is the full fare value, in the form of voucher good to use within a year from the date the voucher is issued. This is just STANDARD PRACTICE with the only exception is the change fee being waived due to the travel waiver or the revised cancellation policy. The value of the fare does NOT get refunded to Chase therefore not to your UR account.

I have no clue what you talk about the $300 ticket - what difference does it make if both the original purchase and the now considering new (I assume) purchase? Both are nonrefundable fares, both will be handled the identical way - refund in the form of voucher minus change fee which now is waived.

You ONLY get the fare refunded to Chase card (then in turn to your UR account) when the fare is either a fully refundable class, or the flight is canceled by the airline therefore a full refund instead of a residual voucher, is issued.

In the case you described, the cancellation is from you, not from AA, unless I misread. Voucher, i.e. "credit", is what you will get.