FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - COVID19 UA-Schedule {Archive}
View Single Post
Old Mar 7, 2020, 9:00 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
i just assumed they waive the fee, but otherwise keep it like a normal change, where the funds stay in the PNR, and you have a year to rebook (for the same pax), without the change fee assessed when you rebook. Although I admit to not reading all of the T&Cs in great detail. Not sure how else they would enforce the one change, as now being reported in one post. That would mean it would have to be for the same pax only.
I suspect that you’re correct. While there is a statement that you can cancel the flight and use the credit when you’re ready to travel, I think it operates exactly the same way as a change would today, and because they’re amending the fares to prevent issuance of residual ETCs for fare differences, I think it’s essentially a “change once, to a flight that’s at least as expenses as the one that you picked, but you don’t necessarily have to know what your new target flight is when you make the change.

Originally Posted by emcampbe
if the point is to reduce capacity, I’m not sure why they would consolidate 3 small flights into 1 big one, with the same number of seats (I don’t know if that works out exactly, but you get the point). Obviously, costs would be less with the consolidation, but I’d the point is reduced demand, why send the same number of seats. Reports talk about wya fewer people on board, so I suspect a consolidation of flights would be for less seats overall.
I suspect that you’re right. I suspect one small plane is more profitable than one large plane on most of the routes that are being consolidated.

Originally Posted by fast passenger
But I was just reading this thread tonight and read that ANY segment cancellation means I'm eligible for a refund, based on government regulation. Does this cancellation (UA2246 LGA-DEN, which no longer exists) qualify? Even though there's only a 45 minute difference in departure time on the new flight?
I don’t think we have a test case on this yet. My personal opinion is that it shouldn’t qualify, but that the DOT guidance you’re talking about might mean that it qualifies anyway. It really depends upon how poorly the DOT worded the regulation.

Originally Posted by susiesan
Are fees to change award tickets being waived?
Only if you booked the flights in question since March 3, or if there is a material schedule change affecting your flights. There is no blanket change waiver, and if there were, I suspect UA would try to issue it in such a way that the change you’re discussing wouldn’t qualify.