FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Events canceled/postponed due to COVID-19 [consolidated]
Old Mar 6, 2020, 3:13 pm
aztimm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
SXSW (Austin, Texas) Canceled

Just noticed this, I think it is very recent:

I believe this is one of the first major events in the US to cancel in the wake of coronavirus concerns. The last I heard, there were 3 cases near Houston, but none in the Austin area.

https://www.kvue.com/article/enterta...5-41d84b8c6a13

SXSW canceled: Austin officials end 2020 festival amid coronavirus concerns

This announcement follows several major organizations and companies deciding to not attend the festival.
Author: Sammy Turner (KVUE), Jeff Bell
Published: 3:57 PM CST March 6, 2020
Updated: 4:07 PM CST March 6, 2020 AUSTIN, Texas — For the first time in its 33-year history, South by Southwest has been canceled as the City of Austin declares a local emergency due to concerns about the coronavirus spreading.

In an announcement on Friday by Mayor Steve Adler, Judge Sarah Eckhardt, Dr. Mark Escott of the Interim Health Authority and Austin Public Health Director Stephanie Hayden, the City of Austin declared a local emergency, canceling the Spring Festival event as the COVID-19 virus causes worldwide concern.

This announcement follows several major organizations and companies deciding to not attend the festival, along with a Change.org petition signed by tens of thousands of people calling for the festival to be canceled.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 6, 2020 at 4:25 pm Reason: Restore original title