FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase cards Trip Cancellation/Interruption/Delay insurance benefits (2020-2023)
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:07 pm
carsnoceans

Programs: status free since 2017
Need some serious help here...

1. I had booked my parents (mid and late 60s) on a Celebrity Cruise to Galapagos using my CSR (cardholder i.e. myself, not traveling). Additional medical insurance was purchased for any medical emergency but that was about it. Airfare to/from mainland to UIO (on COPA) was booked via cruiseline as well. Start date for cruise is in late March. Also, my parents are semi-retired and spend part of the year in India.
Last nite, I got a call from them about a troubling development. My dad has gotten bit of respiratory/chest infection and doctors have advised him not to travel at this time as he will be highly susceptible to any infection. At this time, they don't think the infection is from THE virus and probably regular infection but additional exposure puts him at risk.
Celebrity's recent most advisory mentions they are going to have strict measures in place and passengers can be denied boarding if they are deemed sick (which is great). However, it does not help their case if they have already flown 11,000 odd miles to start a cruise trip. I am not sure what appeal should I make to Celebrity or Chase over here. Happy to reschedule the cruise dates to next year if they are unwilling to refund! But would rather avoid any health exposure to them and anyone else.
What would be my best recourse here?

2. On same note, they are booked in paid J LH/AC for IND-US-IND (cruise being a smaller trip nested within their visit). Similarly, paid via CSR (mine) and would prefer to cancel these flights as well. So far, I have been unable to find any waivers issued by LH or AC. Would filing a claim through CSR be better?

I am a little apprehensive here as the total cost (J flights and cruise) was fairly significant and would be a huge loss if not recovered. They can provide whatever medical documentation that is required. But they are physically in India right now... so it would be from a hospital over there.
Should I file claims with Chase or work with individual operators? I would appreciate some thoughts as the time for their trip(s) is nearing and I'd like to have a plan of action before its too late.