FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions
Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:32 am
Visconti

Originally Posted by trueblu
I would love nothing more than egg on my face and total professional embarassment on this issue.
I can appreciate this more than you know. During the Enron fiasco, many suspected their accounting weren't completely above board, but decided to keep quiet because of potential repercussions and in the event they were wrong. Ultimately, being right when others are wrong is the most rewarding and riskiest endeavor, and I have the highest respect and regard for your doing so here. And, being right when most everyone is wrong is necessary to be considered amongst the best in one's professions. While I too hope you have "egg" in your face, if the worst were to happen, I will take some solace that you were right and should be elevated to the top of your field.

Originally Posted by trueblu
And as to your other points: the US stance could be understandable if this was a solely US problem...but there's plenty of evidence of other governments taking this far more seriously, and messaging far more realistically. The UK government today has told people not to panic, but to be prepared for widespread community-wide transmission in the UK: and I can assure you, the UK has far less community transmission right now than the US.
As I've observed, I'm taking all the precautions, and have probably gone beyond what's advised by wearing masks and sunglasses. I can't control what others do in a free country, and I'm not sure our Gov't can either, at this juncture. Even if we were to adopt draconian measures to stamp this out, what then? Travel restrictions or risk another batch of infections?