FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Paris luxury hotels (consolidated thread)
Old Mar 3, 2020, 10:50 pm
SojournsOf
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
I stayed two nights in a Deluxe Suite (#220) (disclosing it was comp'd) at the Mandarin over the weekend. I really liked the room itself - it was a corner style room overlooking the courtyard garden. Nice separate spaces, good bathroom, loads of storage, great bed, I like Diptyque so the amenities were a nice touch. The hotel's location is exceptional for me in Paris (as would be Ritz, Park Hyatt, Meurice, Crillon). I love the Vendome area. Service was very good during stay - only weak moment was breakfast on the Saturday where they were overrun at the end of service and standards were slipping (we got back from a fashion show at 10:30 AM and breakfast finished at 11 AM. Seems like everyone had the same idea! Enjoyed having the large pool - you can swim short laps. I know it isn't what everyone looks for in Paris, but for the right person, it should do the trick. I'm happy to recommended to the right clients.

I also stayed a night at a boutique place in the Marais named Sinner (also comp). This hotel is by EVOK hotels who are a relatively new brand and I believe are looking to expand more - they currently have four hotels in Paris (including Cour des Vosges which I visited and have some comments on below, Nolinksi and Brach), a restaurant in Paris, and some chalets in Courchevel. They're all designed a little to be an antidote to Paris' palace properties. Sinner is not for everyone. I very much enjoyed it - our Deluxe Room (#205) was beautiful and spacious - I loved all the interior decorating and design details - the vinyl player was a great touch. The bed was amazing and the bathroom with its wet room was very good. But, this is a bit of a 'scene' hotel and it doesn't hide this fact. It is design focused and probably very much for a younger (at heart?) clientele. They have self-branded lubricant in the bathrooms. Two tubes. Service was great here - front desk very accommodating (you're led to your room by a robed attendant with a candle lantern) and restaurant/bar staff attentive. Location is fantastic on Rue de Temple - close to Picasso Museum and many of my favorite places to eat and stop by in Paris. They have a DJ in the lobby and have smoke machines in the restaurant/lobby at night.

I visited Cour des Vosges and saw a gorgeous Deluxe Suite (#101) here. This is a new place - it is part of the EVOK group and opened in October 2019. There are only 12 keys - 6 rooms and 6 suites in the building which is directly located on Place des Vosges. There are limited facilities - just a tea room and a large jacuzzi, however, this might be all some people need in Paris. The location is such a winner - this is my favorite square in Paris. The Deluxe Suite I saw was Junior Suite in style (i.e. one room), they do have suites with separate living areas. This suite was beautiful - around 50 sqm - and had a fantastic view through large windows out onto Place des Vosges. The decor of the rooms is stunning! The ceilings are original 17th century, and the design of the room is modern, but not in a way that detracts from the history of the building - the bed is housed inside a stainless steel structure. All suites have small kitchens - this had a cooktop, over, dishwasher, and tools for cooking should you wish. Bathroom was beautiful - freestanding bath. I loved the style of the room. Would definitely recommend this to people who might want to go independent, but just want to have some services of a boutique hotel available should they wish.

I also saw Pavilion de la Reine which I believe used to be Virtuoso but is now just with SLH. Again, this one is located with the entry right on Place des Vosges, though I don't believe any rooms actually overlook the square. This is a great little boutique option in this area of Paris. Much more traditional than Sinner and with more facilities than Cour des Vosges. I saw a Superior Room (#21) which was small, but nicely refreshed. A Duplex Deluxe Room (#16) was nice and featured separate living and sleeping areas given the duel level layout. Obviously not suitable for all given the stairs in the room. A Prestige Junior Suite (#7) was located in the older part of the building (18th century). This was a great suite - very long layout which gives the impression it is quite large. Beautiful beams preserved on the walls and ceilings. Had a separate living space so really felt like a one bedroom suite. Finally saw the Victor Hugo Suite (#45) which is just a named room within the suite category. It was very nice - kitchenette, overlooked the inside garden, very Parisian in style and nice freestanding tub in the bathroom. Was 45 sqm apparently but I thought felt larger. Hotel has a nice small spa and fitness room. Restaurant has one Michelin star (just awarded) and feels quite casual compared to some others. Again, not a big palace style or a super 5 star like others in Paris, but a very solid option for the right demographic in the Marais.

Last up was a visit to JK Place. Wow! I adored this hotel and also loved my lunch at their Casa Tua offshoot restaurant with the adorable GM Riccardo (Michael from Casa Tua was also there, as was the owner of JK). They are still not 100% complete (the spa - Sisley, exclusive for in-house guests - was almost there and a couple of rooms in one of the building are having final touches - they are the only rooms in this building though, so no impact. They aren't far off though. The location is fabulous - right near Musee d'Orsay and only really 15 mins walk (I rode a scooter from Mandarin in 10 mins) from the Vendome area / Louvre / Place de la Concorde / etc. Just like its sister hotels, the property is gorgeously fit out - loved all the public spaces and the rooms. Many pieces of furniture/decor are restored from Paris' flea markets, or may be designer (e.g. Hermes lamps). Artwork is beautiful. I saw a Master Room (#9) which was very Parisian / Haussman with the moldings and 150 year old parquetry flooring, but with really nice updated furnishings and artwork. Bathrooms are beautiful. Walk-in robes in every room. Also saw a Junior Suite (#29) which sits below Master. It was a nice size also and a different style in that it had a mansard-style roof.
The pool was small, but very nice area. Also a decent size gym. Only 2-4 rooms on each floor, so floors are easy to privatize floors. They only have adjoining rooms at the moment, but will add some doors in some corridors to creater truer connecting rooms.
I think many people will love this hotel and I see it directly competing with La Reserve (albeit LR is more imperial in style and I would say JK is more chic). Location may be a factor. It is super discreet (I went past the entrance twice) and very boutique though at only 29 room keys. Website is actually very much what you see is what you get - feels like a super nice private home in Paris. LOVE.

Any question on any of the properties let me know. Will aim to get some pictures up on my website soon, but the poor thing has been neglected lately with me being busy with work / life, so perhaps by end of month before I head to India.

In summary, comfortable with Mandarin for right guests. Loved Sinner, but this is targeting a certain demographic which rightly or wrongly may or may not be for you. Cour des Vosges is a great boutique option in a smashing location. Pavilion de la Reine remains a lovely traditional option in Marais. JK Place isn't messing around and will definitely become some people's favorite in the city (unless they can't be on the Left Bank).

Last edited by SojournsOf; Mar 3, 2020 at 10:55 pm