FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Pending Credit Card Transaction Disappeared - Airline Has Been Paid
Old Mar 2, 2020, 9:05 am
Oil-man

Programs: BA & BD Gold Once Upon a Time
Pending Credit Card Transaction Disappeared - Airline Has Been Paid

I bought some airline tickets directly on 18th Feb at a cost of 2000 Euros (flight originates in Eurozone). This was paid on my UK credit card (Halifax Clarity - no currency fees) at the spot exchange rate of 1GBP = 1.2 Euro. So, I immediately saw a pending transaction of GBP1667 on my credit card on the 18th Feb.

This disappeared from my credit card a few days later, so assume (having read some experiences on here) that it will be posted to my credit card at a later date.

But, in the 2 weeks since the transaction the exchange rate has gone from 1.20 to 1.14 Euros per GBP. Therefore, if it now posted at today’s currency exchange rate I would be billed for £1754, or an increase of £87.

Therefore, I rang the bank to find out what was going on. They had no information and they said contact the airline. I did this and they said the money was authorised on the 18th Feb and collected from Mastercard on the 20th Feb. Based on what the agent told me, we have received the payment and you have your ticket numbers and are good to fly.

So, something is messed up here and I don’t for one second think I’m going to get free airline tickets. But, I’ll be unhappy if it posts at a later date at a much worse exchange rate.

Anyone else experienced something similar or knows how this will play out.