FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Waiver for Tickets Purchased Through 12/31/2020
Old Feb 29, 2020, 8:22 pm
NoLaGent

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by stephem
I just had to cancel a weekend trip to SoCal, woke up with 2 kids with fevers and the other two of us with clear signs of illness. I pushed the flights out by paying for same day change to see if we could get to the doctors in the morning and potentially salvage. Three ear infections diagnosed. I eventually got our same day change fee refunded, but no flexibility at all on the underlying tickets, we just had to kiss them goodbye. I would love to have seen the situation if we showed up in our current condition on the plane, I have to guess that would have made our fellow passengers uncomfortable. I told the agents I was speaking with that I was not taking the flight this afternoon as much for public safety as for our own preferences. Since I booked 2 one ways, I will check in for the return and at least inflict a bit annoyance on them at the gate on Monday morning when they have to deal with us not boarding, and at least prevent them from reselling those seats over the weekend.
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Just show up at the airport and get yourself declared unfit to fly. It can't be that hard. With everyone on edge about coronavirus, a couple of good coughs should do it.

Also, why are you having to kiss $450 tickets goodbye? They are not basic economy (you said you SDCed). Can't you cancel, pay $125/ticket, and get $325/ticket in your AS wallet?
4 pax from SEA-SoCal on one-way non-refundable tickets. The change fee is going to eat the value.

And your advice is insane. As is the poster's actions. But his post history shows he does it on DL, and seems to enjoy it.

Sometimes I really hate this world.