FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cellars in the sky 2019: Cathay Pacific wins silver for First Class
Old Feb 27, 2020, 5:53 pm
HarbourGent

Thanks for posting sxc and good on Cathay Dragon; I find the detailed list in the link interesting reading. It shows as in previous years that some airlines, such as ANA, really do take their wine selection seriously. I always treat "Cellars in the Sky" seriously; albeit the tasting is not at altitude, by a blind tasting by an expert panel is refreshing compared to leading bloggers whose knowledge of wine is limited to its prestige value and the fact that it isn't their usual ghastly soda.
The list of airlines who entered covers almost all those who may have top notch wine in my opinion, with the possible exception of Lufthansa and Swiss (Turkish at a push depending on the style preference of the panel). Air France I rather like not including in one way, as it conjures up an image of them haughtily refusing to deign a British-organised wine tasting with their presence. Also, many of the best wines are bound to be French and so with ANA, EVA, British Airways and indeed Cathay in the mix, a snapshot like this could mean Air France ending up in the awkward position of being characterised as being less good at selecting wines from its home market than some foreign airlines: smarter for it to abstain and thereby maintain its amour propre.