FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Leaving the Cold behind... SEA (Thailand, India, Singapore) with LH A380 in FIRST
Old Feb 27, 2020, 10:59 am
ChristianKiev

Programs: Lufthansa SEN, Bonvoy LT TE, SIXT Diamond, AVIS President, HERTZ President
Thursday, February 27, 2020

When I opened the curtains I thought I’m in London… it was grey and rainy.

I checked the weather App on my iPhone, clouds all day, partly rainy. Gone was my daily routine.

So I went down for breakfast. On day 4 the staff already knew what I want, without asking the double Espresso, watermelon juice, mango and egg white omelette arrived, with Coriander and a good portion of chili. I decided to have a noodle-soup in addition, then went up to my apartment, took my BCAA, changed for the gym.

Due to the weather the gym was quite packed, I did my weight program for an hours and, because no tanning possible, 60 minutes instead of 30 on the treadmill.

Yes, it’s boring on the treadmill – but you can watch a movie or, as in my case, listen to music and kind of take the walk as a dance, just uphill.

In Ukraine music is very versatile. While in Europe and the US it’s mainly US/English/Spanish music, in addition we have a share of approx. 50% Russian music (folk/pop/dance/rap). When you go to a club and it’s only US/English music, you know you’re in a club dedicated to foreigners. The clubs where locals go play a good share of Russian music, sometimes above 50%.

I was listening to music like this (song starting at 2:11):

After gym up to the Club Lounge to get my proteins filled up with low-fat milk. Another interesting fact: in Thailand Protein Powder is very expensive, don’t know why – but at least 4 times as expensive as in Ukraine, for same brand. Since I know, I always bring my own.

My friend called, informed me that they’re in the lobby, decided to leave Bangkok for Pattaya. I went down to say ‘Goodbye’, then had a shower, changed and went out for lunch. Luckily it didn’t rain too much anymore. But even this light rain caused the traffic on Sukhumvit to collapse:

I saw this shop right on my way to the restaurant. Just hope nothing will happen as long as I’m near. ;-)
https://abload.de/img/022704sxk4i.jpeg[/url]

The Fishball-Noodle-Soup shop was closed again, so I decided it was time for a change, Korean food.

When staying at the SGS Koran food is always at hand because ‘Korean Town’ is close. Here, at Thonglor, I had to consult Tripadvisor to find a decent Korean restaurant. I went up Soi 55 until I reached the small shopping mall where on the 2nd floor ‘Kiani Korean Restaurant’ is located.

The interior was modern,

far from the traditional Korean style – but the menu looked promising. I took a seat inside, studied the menu and selected cold sticky noodles with egg, pear and hot sauce.

First the typical Korean side dishes were served,

Funnily the Korean carrot salad is very popular in Russia and Ukraine, we can buy it in nearly all supermarkets as well as on the open markets, called 'Морковь по-корейски' (Eng.: carrot Korean style)

My main dish arrived, looked pretty nice.

I added the red sauce, mixed gently and enjoyed.

I like Korean food, the mix of the spices and sweet. But honestly, in case you’re up for Korean food, better go to Asok and walk to Korean Town, visit ‘Jang Won Korean Restaurant’ where they also do Korean BBQ.

After lunch I returned to the hotel, had some small things to do.

At around 5:30 I was hungry again, went up to the Club Lounge and have been positively surprised, they hosted a Thai evening, with a chef preparing Som Tam (salad from green papaya with peanuts, chili, tomato, small tried prawns and Thai dressing) to order, Green Chicken Curry and Thai style roasted chicken with rice and a spicy herbal dip (of course there was also an international selection).

I first went for the Som Tam, a dish I adore, asked the Chef to prepare a portion ‘Thai spicy’, which he really did.

Of the chicken I just took 2 pieces to try, was curious how well they would prepare it. It has been roasted perfectly, not dry at all, in combination with the really flavourful, spicy dip surprisingly good.

Don’t forget, it’s a Marriott Club Lounge at the end.

In the evening I had a plan, took the BTS to Nana station,

walked past the entrance of Nana Plaza, where right after, on the sidewalk, normally is my favourite foodstall for noodle-soup. I’ve been surprised, because the usual place was empty. I asked at the neighbouring foodstall and have been informed that Thursday is their day off (in the past it has been Monday).

So I took BTS back to Tonglo (or Thong Lor) station, consulted Tripadvisor for an alternative not too far from the restaurant. At the end I decided to check out ’55 Pochana’, 4.5 points (TA), 4.0 (Google) and recommended by my favourite Thai Food Blog, ‘Eatingthaifood’ by Mark Wiens (https://www.eatingthaifood.com/55-po...-chinese-food/).

This guy, Mark Wiens, gave me unforgettable memories with fantastic food in Bangkok but especially in the north of Thailand.

The restaurant doesn’t look fantastic neither from the outside, nor inside.

It wasn’t specifically clean, the tables of cheap material, everything worn out already. The menu has been presented, a year-old folder with photos of all dishes coated in plastic film. As described in the blog, ‘a long standing restaurant’.

I wasn’t very sure, but I decided to give it a try, ordered the oyster-omelette (not to be mixed up with Hoi-Tod, the chewy oyster omelette I had the other day) and small clams in ‘brown curry’, a kind of curry I never tried before.

The omelette arrived – and I’ve been positively surprised.

Normally the Wok-fried omelette is full of grease, sometimes even crispy, here it wasn’t, just perfectly prepared. I’ve been relieved ! It tasted just right, 100% as it should be.

The presentation of the clams, especially the colour of the sauce, wasn’t appealing,

but the taste, OMG !!! The brown curry was so complex, the holy basil, the spices and the light sweetness… If there’s one guy you can trust when it comes to food, it’s Mark Wiens. Not once I’ve been disappointed by his recommendations !

I paid US$ 10 and walked the 50 meters back to Marriott.

Last edited by ChristianKiev; Feb 27, 2020 at 7:21 pm