FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Situation in Wuhan?
View Single Post
Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:42 pm
STS-134

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DaileyB
Heartbreaking death of Kai Chang, a movie director, and his family in Wuhan. (From last Sunday's bulletin in Chinese Church I attend)

"On New Years Eve, I obeyed the order and cancelled the New Year's Eve Banquet in the luxury hotel. I managed to cook myself, with my parents and my wife gathering together and enjoying the dinner. I didn't know the nightmare was coming. My father became very sick. We sent him to a number of hospitals for treatment, but there were no beds available.

Many people helped, but it was still difficult to find a bed. In disappointment we went home took care of him ourselves. A few days later he passes away.

My mother was exhausted and caught the coronavirus as well. She passed away, following my father. During the time when we served our parents the ruthless coronavirus attacked me and my beloved wife. We went to various hospitals and begged in tears, but no bed for us. Now we missed the opportunity to be healed. I write to you and my son in London: I been a good son, a caring father, a loving husband and an honesty man. Farewell! My love and those who love me."

Here is a newspaper article that describes his death. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...s-chinese-film-director-family-wuhan-covid-19
So if we assume that this virus has a case fatality rate of 2%, the chance that it would kill 4 people in the same family like that (assuming that each case is independent) is (0.02)^4 or 1 in 6.25 million. The interesting thing is that the guy's wife (whom I'm assuming is not related to him by blood) is in serious condition but the article doesn't mention that she died. Now I would think that either the strain that infected them was a lot more serious than others, it's pure 1/6.25M coincidence, or perhaps there's some genetic susceptibility to this?