FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How To Bring Ritz-Carlton Caliber Customer Service To Any Type Of Business
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:10 am
JBord

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Like it or not, SPG loyalists, yes: the Ritz-Carlton is the benchmark of superior service in the hospitality industry and they serve as such for other industries as well (as described in the OP's post). Ritz-Carlton is the only hotel company to have earned the Malcolm Baldrige award, and one of the only organizations to have won it twice. They gladly share their philosophies, knowing that they are much harder to put into practice than to read about.

The complaints listed here seem rooted in jealousy, envy, and a fundamental misunderstanding of what "guest service" really means. Here's a hint: it's not as simple as upgrading someone to a suite because they've spent a few dozen nights in a Four Points.
I understand that it's difficult to sympathize with some of the "SPG Loyalist" complaints, but this is one where I disagree, and although a somewhat frequent customer of SPG, I was never a loyalist or even top tier elite there. R-C's have never stood out to me under the Marriott umbrella. Maybe there was a time when they did. But the service I've received seems to be the same as just about any other Marriott (or SPG) brand. Maybe it's because I'm not very needy and demanding...but I've never seen anything exceptional. In fact, most of my RC stays have been unremarkable. Mainly I recall the dated decor at most of the properties, not anything about the service.

I guess I generally expect, and almost always receive, polite and helpful service at all of the Marriott hotels. To be honest, if there's a RC and a Ren or Westin, etc. side by side for the same price, I'm just as likely to pick any of them, the RC doesn't stand out to me.