FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2020-21)
Old Feb 26, 2020, 7:53 am
smthiid

Originally Posted by kyleh
Bumping this in light of today's clawback news... Any way to change a $300 flight to a cheaper flight and keep the credit on your DL account? Thanks all.
I had experience on this. If you originally purchased a refundable fare, you can always change it to a cheaper flight. Just in your reservation, click modify the flight and follow instructions. You can change a refundable fare to a non-refundable fare but then you cannot make changes any more without paying a fee. You can change a one-way to round trip or vice versa.

However, be aware, the fund difference will be issued as an e-certifcate with an expiration date, and ONLY you can use it. You cannot use that e-cert to purchase a ticket for others. It seems you can use it toward tickets including yourself and others though.

I tried to change my refundable one-way to a non-refundable round trip a few days back, and then I wanted to use the remaining certificate to purchase a ticket for my wife, but it did not allow me to. It will ask the name associated with that e-cert, and it has to match. If using that e-cert for both myself and my wife, then it went through. But since I already got mine own ticket, I could not do it this way. So immediately (that is within 24 hours) I cancelled the new reservation. The e-cert got void immediately. Then I made a phone call to have all money refunded to my aspire and it was processed soon enough. Now I have to cross my fingers that it would not be clawed back by amex.