FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Spring 2020 - SQ and MI service reductions
Old Feb 26, 2020, 2:21 am
Kilian Zoll

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
SQ just rebooked us to 23 April SQ 451 MLE-SIN -- was originally booked for 22 April.

Our problem: we will be on a points stay at the Waldorf Astoria ending on the 22nd, and paying out of pocket for another night (currently USD $2,400 ex taxes/fees) is obviously not an option. SQ now have us stranded in one of the most expensive places on earth without accommodation on the last night.

What are our options? The way I see it:

- Rebooked on another airline on the 22nd?
* will be a downgrade in terms of the itinerary as no other airline (except Silk Air) flies direct to SIN from MLE
* will be a downgrade in terms of the experience (we're in J on the B787-10), unless maybe they rebook us on QR with QSuites which would add a lot of time to the itinerary anyway

- Rebooked onto one of Silk Air's flights on the 22nd?
* obviously huge downgrade in terms of experience.
* Flight also departs in the morning (vs just before midnight) which means we lose a full day at the Waldorf Astoria.

- SQ to organize accommodation for the last night? What is reasonable to ask for?
* Not really keen to be holed up in some average 3-star property in Male for 24 hours.
* Leaving one day later than our original flight also means we miss a full day of work -- would any SQ cover the loss of income?

I'm leaning towards the last option being the one I would prefer, but I obviously don't want to have to pay out of pocket for a hotel in a place like the Maldives which is incredibly expensive.

EDIT: By the way, what happens if I click "Decline" on the rebooking blurb on the SQ website when I try to access my booking?
EDIT2: I've paid flights and accommodation with different credit cards so I don't think the bundled travel insurance (wouldn't be very comprehensive anyway being HK issued cards) would be eligible.

Last edited by Kilian Zoll; Feb 26, 2020 at 2:51 am