FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Y Meal with 15 month shelf life
View Single Post
Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:05 pm
dddc

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by 1
Read the expiry date on a long haul BA flight earlier this week and it was July 2021. Is this the standard with BA and also other airlines? Is it similar for Club and First meals or are they made just before the flight?

The chicken in the meal was very dry, will probably get something at Pret for my next flight as I worry about the preservatives added to keep food good for so long.
Originally Posted by V10
They shouldn't be getting anywhere near these dates if they're managing their stock rotations correctly.

That said, it's this sort of thing which will inevitably make some regard economy class catering with a certain amount of suspicion, before even getting as far as actually eating it.
Given that it's Feb 20, the meal has the potential to last that long, but in reality you've probably had it within weeks of being made. I'n sure an accountant somewhere has done the cost analysis of storing a years worth of meals vs the cost of making them in batches etc.

If it's frozen, then it doesn't need preservatives in it. Remember, frozen peas have more vitamins in them than fresh ones that have taken a week to get to the shop from the farm.

I flew Thomas Cook a couple of days before they went bust. The James Martin (famous (?) tv chef) meal onboard had been frozen and had an expiry date 11 months hence. It was a cooked breakfast and ranked as one worst I had. Powdery eggs. Rubbery meats. I was glad I pigged out in the lounge beforehand.

Originally Posted by Greenpen
I think there might be food in my freezer that could be two or three years old. Anonymous containers with something or other inside are occasionally defrosted, smelt, prodded and eaten.

Might be some Birds Eye beef dinners right at the back!
I often make slow cooker meals that I freeze the excess. It's annoying when I defrost something that I thought was spag bog only to find its chilli and I've prepared pasta and not rice. I've had stuff in there past the 12 month mark.