FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Situation in Wuhan?
View Single Post
Old Feb 23, 2020, 2:45 pm
STS-134

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
You are applying Western cultural norms based on personal freedom and individual-thinking to Chinese culture that regards people not as individuals but as elements of a larger humanity. Much of Chinese culture originated from the Yellow River Basin, which flooded regularly and invariably swept some people away each time. For example, the notion of celebrating the Lunar New Year (guo-nian) isn't really about welcoming the spring and planting seeds but refers to a classical fable of having survived (guo) a human-eating monster (Nian). In more recent history, the Chinese torched the entire city of Changsha in 1938, killing tens of thousands, to leave nothing for the Japanese to take. And during the HIV outbreak in several villages in Henan in the early 2000s, the villages were isolated to contain the HIV spread until the problem literally died away. Now with the coronavirus, people in the affected areas are accepting their fate as a part of the bigger whole. The current government's "patriotic education" and its history of intimidating the people have definite effects on the people's reactions, but it's the underlying culture that allows the Chinese to quarantine themselves in a way that other cultures like ours in the U.S. will absolutely not tolerate.
What about Italy? That's a pretty western country, and it's now got multiple cities under quarantine. If they have to quarantine the Bay Area to stop the spread of this virus, I'd accept that I can't leave in order to protect other people outside of the Bay Area, and I think most people would be able to understand that. Nobody would like it of course, but the vast majority would be able to understand why it has to be done. However, what I absolutely would not tolerate would be people firewalling my internet connection while I am stuck at home, and trying to prevent me from getting or sending information about the event that was keeping me at home in the first place.