FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Situation in Wuhan?
View Single Post
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:37 pm
sinoflyer

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by STS-134
In any case, what are people going to do if they are cooped up in their apartments for weeks? If you told me that someone created a clone of myself and he was going to try for one month to break into my computer remotely and delete all my files if he gets in, I'd take proper precautions and would be only slightly concerned. If you further added that this person would be cooped up in an apartment nearly 24/7 and would only be able to eat, sleep, and try to break into my computer, I'd be very worried.
You are applying Western cultural norms based on personal freedom and individual-thinking to Chinese culture that regards people not as individuals but as elements of a larger humanity. Much of Chinese culture originated from the Yellow River Basin, which flooded regularly and invariably swept some people away each time. For example, the notion of celebrating the Lunar New Year (guo-nian) isn't really about welcoming the spring and planting seeds but refers to a classical fable of having survived (guo) a human-eating monster (Nian). In more recent history, the Chinese torched the entire city of Changsha in 1938, killing tens of thousands, to leave nothing for the Japanese to take. And during the HIV outbreak in several villages in Henan in the early 2000s, the villages were isolated to contain the HIV spread until the problem literally died away. Now with the coronavirus, people in the affected areas are accepting their fate as a part of the bigger whole. The current government's "patriotic education" and its history of intimidating the people have definite effects on the people's reactions, but it's the underlying culture that allows the Chinese to quarantine themselves in a way that other cultures like ours in the U.S. will absolutely not tolerate.

Last edited by sinoflyer; Feb 23, 2020 at 1:42 pm