FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How do airlines determine the hotels crew are placed in?
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:41 pm
teddybear99

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Years ago, I worked for a company who had a contract for an airline to transport their pilots and crew members to hotels for their layovers. There was a period where there were a large number of canceled flights to the NE USA due to a major snowstorm/blizzard and the contracted hotels were out of rooms. I ended up taking two crews to a hotel that was not contracted, but was called by the agency who handled these type of circumstances and was able to find rooms where most were hotels were already booked to the rafters due to this storm.

Upon arrival to this hotel, a few of the crew were highly upset because it did not meet the conditions of the contract agreed to by the union because the rooms were accessible by outside doors, not internal hallways. I guess it had to do with "safety" and that anyone can walk the outside levels of the hotel. Some were refusing to stay there and asked to go back to the airport instead. I had to call the agency to get direction and to approve the return as we were not paid for any transportation not approved in advance. When these flight crew members spoke to the representative and were told that they either accept these rooms as they were the only ones available or they would sleep on the floor at the airport until they were cleared to fly after the storms passed, they decided to stay, but filed a complaint through the union. I never found out what happened as most of theses flights did not get off the ground for up to 3 days.