FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}
Old Feb 21, 2020, 3:10 pm
fumje
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Answers to your ancillary questions:

Originally Posted by BusinessCasualSport
Hi all. Going to Japan this summer with 2 friends. Companion (general member) and I (gold) will be flying to SFO to rendezvous with other friend (1k). We will then fly to KIX. Companion and I are booked on W fares. 1k friend has applied pluspoints to our reservation, however he bought his tickets with miles and is on a separate reservation.

UA 35 on Sat July 25 2020 SFO->KIX
  • Available fare classes: J6 JN6 C5 D1 Z0 ZN0 P0 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G4 N9 XN9 X0
A few questions here and thank you ahead of time for your responses:
  • 1k friend has applied 80 PP to each of our SFO->KIX flights. Should we be on the waitlist for the ORD->SFO route as well since it is a flight with 1-stop? I have had someone upgrade 3 flights of mine with just 20 PP since it was a 2-stop flight. Wondering if the same principal can be applied although the 3 flights were domestic and this is 1 domestic/1 international.
  • Would it be advantageous for me to get upgraded by splitting our PNRs since together we will need PZ=>2 but separately we will need PZ=>1?
    • If yes to above, will he still inherit boarding group 1 if we split the reservation?
  • What are our chances of upgrading?
  • Also, am I entitled to any seat upgrades such as E+ for being star alliance gold on the ANA flight home?
    img
img
  • It appears your friend with the PlusPoints did not want to risk having only ORD-SFO upgraded, since he will not get them back if SFO-KIX fails. This is a change from GPUs.
  • Yes (assuming you are OK with getting only one upgrade), and
    • typically yes, but sometimes it fails
  • --
  • No seat benefits for ANA from *G currently.