FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New ATL boarding process Thursday
View Single Post
Old Feb 20, 2020, 8:36 pm
mattp1987

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by rogo
Weirdly Southwest still boards in the most insane way possible -- first people take many aisles, mostly near front -- and has no problem boarding efficiently.

Why? Because they line people up in a non-stupid way -- unlike all other airlines which refuse to ape the process -- and because FAs proactively help keep overheads organized and full.
I think one of the major differences with Southwest is that they still include two bags in the ticket price. Between that and my supposition that they cater to a higher percentage of leisure travelers, it results in less carry-on luggage going in the overhead bin which speeds up boarding compared to the legacies.

Originally Posted by Often1
The problem is that boarding through the forward door, having people seated in the first rows, e.g. F, C+ on domestic single aisles, could not be less efficient. But, boarding in random groups, which is much more efficient, might deprive some ever-so-important nobody of being able to strut in front of others. So, it's a no go.

This is a labor-intensive half measure.
Boarding early, for me at least, has nothing to do with feeling important and everything to do with finding space for my bag, preferably above my seat or a few rows in front so I don't have to gate check it or "swim upstream" to retrieve it when we land.

Originally Posted by matchbox20_is
As FO with Reserve who never carries anything on, I always try to board as late as possible anyway unless in F. Y'all can fight over it.

First on and first off...so do you want to be on the plane, or not? Last on and first off would be most preferable, thank you!
Agreed! If I check my luggage and I'm in coach, I try to be as close as possible to the last person on the plane.